Too often when away on a trip everything has a habit of becoming a bit disorganised, particularly if you are on the move and regularly packing and un-packing your bags every few days. One way to help combat this is to try and have a place for everything which allows you to find things quickly when you need to and makes more space in your suitcase when packing. The best way I have found to do this is with plastic bags and ziploc ones work exceptionally well as they secure items easily and are fairly durable. I always carry various sizes of ziplocs and use them in a multitude of ways no matter what style of holiday we have.
I use these when on trips to store anything that may leak in my handbag/backpack (depending on what style of trip) like; sunscreen, insect repellent and hand sanitiser as well as holding all those smaller items that fall to the bottom and take forever to locate, especially when you are in a hurry. They are also great for carrying a variety of snack items that help keep hungry children happy for that little bit longer whilst making your way to a destination.
Here are 10 more travel uses for ziplocs that you might find handy on your next trip:
1. Travel Hamper — Bring an XL ziploc and keep your dirty clothes zipped up tight and away from the clean ones.
2. Laundry Detergent –Use a small sandwich sized ziploc to hold some launder powder for any emergency clothes washing you may need to do.
3. Fragile Souvenir Protector — Pack fragile souvenirs in your suitcase, surrounded by two or three ziplocs, filled with air.
4. Camera Poncho — A gallon-sized ziploc is a great way to protect your camera in the rain. Wrap it around the body of your camera and shoot with the lens peeking out of the opening.
5. Waterproof Document Holder — Ever get stuck in a rainstorm with your passport in your pocket? Believe me, it comes out pretty wrinkly when it dries and attracts a lot of sidelong looks from border guards. Keep your passport, money, and other precious documents dry by storing them neatly in a sandwich-sized ziploc.
6. Space Saver — Get an XXL-sized ziploc and fill it with all of the clothes you’re bringing on your trip. Then roll or squeeze the air out from the bottom up, and seal.
7. Earring Keeper — Put earrings, pills, or other small items into a snack-sized ziploc and slip it into your bathroom bag. It’ll save your more precious items from getting lost or scratched.
8. Day Starter Kit — Make a coffee kit with your favourite tea, instant coffee, sugar etc. and skip the coffee provided by the hotel.
9. Electronics Packet — Store all of your electronics, wires, chargers, MP3 players, etc. in a large sized ziploc. You can see what’s in it while it’s closed and it’ll keep your things from getting lost in the nooks and crannies of your suitcase.
10. Swimsuit Bag — Put wet swimsuits into XL sized ziplocs until you get home or back to the hotel. Works great for other wet clothes, too, like wet socks when you get caught in a rain storm.